Welcome Friend!

My photo
Provo, Utah, United States
Currently I am a work at home wife to the hottest and hardest working man I know. Until we have children we have found baby place-fillers in our puppy Maybe, three rats Ollie, Dew and Dash, our two turtles Turbie and Cootie and a few fish who will remain unnamed (because I forgot to ever name them). I struggle with depression, anxiety and related issues. My struggles do not define me. I am currently on a journey to further my self understanding and invite you to join me.

4.03.2012

Get the Facts About Depression

Myth "Depression isn't real." "It's something in your head." "It's being lazy."

Fact Depression is a disease of the brain. Experts believe that certain brain chemicals go out of balance to cause the disease. No one thing causes this. Many things, including your genes, stressful events, illness, and medicines, can cause the imbalance.

Myth "Depression always will get better by itself." "Treatment doesn't really work." "You usually can wait it out."

Fact A few people get over depression on their own, but most people need treatment. Most people with depression can be treated, and they return to their work and home routines. Without treatment, depression can last for months or even years.

Myth "Depression only happens if something bad happens to you. For example, you only get it after a bad divorce or losing your job."

Fact Depression may start after something bad happens, but other things also may trigger it. Medicines, hormone problems, childbirth, and using alcohol and drugs all can trigger depression. Sometimes it happens for no clear reason.

Myth "If you can't get over depression, you're weak."

Fact Depression is a disease. It is a problem with your brain chemistry, not your character. You can't force yourself to get over it any more than you can make asthma or a heart attack go away.

Myth "Only people who are very depressed or think about suicide need medicine."

Fact Most people with depression need medicine. Medicine can improve or get rid of the symptoms of depression.

 

All credit for this post goes to the article found at http://www.health.com/health/library/topic/0,,ug4843_ug4843-sec,00.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I need to see you again! We can talk about anxiety. ;) It hit me last summer... oh lovely.